Monday, December 07, 2009

Very Grammatic - Battles it out!

*Very Grammatic is an unscheduled, published-whenever-I-feel-like-it column for Hafeez, a resident blogger for this blog. This column is centered mostly on Hafeez's other main interest: unusual, unique, arty, and weird music that sane people only listen to while high on drugs.


Today, like any other day, is an absolutely normal, usual, run-of-the-mill day. The date might be of some significance but otherwise it is an abso-fucking-lutely normal day to be precise. Spent the good portion of the morning doing work that will definitely go unnoticed by anyone of some degree of concern. Spent a handsome RM3.50 for lunch that was near satisfying and wholesome. Only perhaps too normal that I couldn't think of anything to write other than the fact that I have to write about something because I wanted to write about Battles.

(See how the normal day has dried up my thoughts) Battles is a some sort of a rock band that hails from New York, playing what I suspect progressive math rock. However, unlike any other progressive math rock band, this band in particular made good use of Chipmunks-style voice effect to further stylized their already highly stylized music. Ah crap, that is awful. Let me rephrase that.

Listening to Battles is like listening to the cries of a horde of lab rat drowning in a washing machine while the scientist involved is shrieking frantically across the room because the Bunsen burner tries to mount his leg. It's super maniac - it blows your brain to bits and pieces; it blurs your perception towards reality; it dismantles your belief in Pythagoras' theorem. In other words, it is absolutely amazing. When I first listen to this band, I was blown away. The music is so weird, so individual, and so unique, my head exploded.

Literally.

But not today.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home